Astereman are most often born from two of their own kind procreating but can also be born of the union of a minotaur and a humanoid woman, usually a dwarf, elf or human. Due to their seemingly feral ancestry they are most often mistaken for wildlings as their anatomy betrays them; though from the waist up they appear like other humanoids, below they bear the legs of a bull and have cloven feet. Because of this, many astereman wear loose fitting garments that cover their legs and specialized footwear to muffle the noise they make when they traverse across hard surfaces.
Astereman are strong and hardy creatures and revel in physical endeavors and sports. They are adaptable to many endeavors, but find that mental tasks are not to their liking. Astereman quickly lose their patience and temper when hard pressed against for quick and intuitive mental tasks. They despise those that do not respect that they are not as mentally keen, and due to their lack of wits aren't as forgiving against those that openly flaunt mental superiority and are hard pressed to not resort to fisticuffs against them.
Physical Description: Astereman are typically taller than humans but are nowhere near the height of the saelvhik. The only way to tell that one is an astereman is by revealing their legs. Other than their legs, they can vary as much as other humanoids do in skin color and tone and eye and hair color. Astereman born of an elven mother typically have pointed ears while other astereman do not, those of them that are born of a dwarven mother are stockier that heir typical brethren and those of human heritage have no physical signs of it.
Society: Astereman have no organized society that they call their own, they either seek out their minotaur parent to spend their lives among them and their society and culture or subsume to the humanoid ways of the civilized world.
Relations: Astereman relations is usually typical of that of their humanoid parent. They do need to be careful not to expose themselves in bigoted communities and among those that wish to enforce racial purity. They are easily the subject of ire when they targeted as a half-breed to the wrong element. Their lack of common sense combined with their physical prowess can prove to be a volatile combination when they are pressed against these kinds of people, so it isn't surprising that they aren't uncommon as one would think they are among the civilized lands.
When they are exposed, all it takes is uprooting their life and settling down somewhere else, which doesn't seem to upset them as much as does other humanoids. Those of their kind with magical talent don't have to be as careful as other astereman without it, as they can use their talent to hide their heritage and walk openly without the material need for disguise.
Alignment: Astereman are capable of running the gamut of various alignments, but many of them that are either raised by their minotaur father or humanoid mother, not of a human but rather dwarves and elves are typically good aligned. Human raised astereman are subject to the same wide range of emotional and physical abuse by their peers and possibly their own mother, who may spite the child for what it represents. In this latter case, astereman tend to come out of their youth as bitter, hateful and spiteful beings capable of inflicting the neuroses of their trauma on others, thusly being neutral or evil at worst. By rising above this trauma and wanting to be a protector of those that deal with the same problems they have experienced, they become paragons for the force of good.
Along the chaos and law axis, astereman are predisposed towards chaos as they find that it suits they their instinctual desire to act out their physical impulses.
Religion: Astereman find it difficult to wrap their mind around organized religion. They can be spiritual, but are almost never pious. Astereman with a strong spiritual drive and heed the call of the wild find it easy to follow the path of the animist.
The rare few of them that do answer the call of the divine mostly venerate deities that have Luck, Protection, Strength, Travel and Trickery as domain choices. Evil astereman are also fond of deities that include Death, Destruction, Madness and War as domain choices.
Adventurers: Many astereman take up the adventuring lifestyle as it provides them with an escape from the pressures of civilization. In the wilderness they do not have to hide who they are and the adventurers lifestyle allows them to unhinge themselves from having to keep their physical needs under lock and key.
ASTEREMAN RACIAL TRAITS
- +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -4 Wisdom: Astereman are hale and hardy but lack the intuition and common sense to keep themselves out of trouble.
- Medium: Astereman are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Astereman have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Darkvision: Astereman can see in the dark up to 30 feet.
- Cosmic Tenacity: Although astereman lack mental refinement they are able to treat effects that target their mind as if this debilitation is nonexistent, they gain a +2 racial bonus to their Will saves. In addition they receive a +2 racial saving throw bonus against conjuration and enchantment spells and effects, further they are allowed a Will save against any maze spell or spell-like ability.
- Internal Compass: Astereman treat Survival as a class skill for all classes and gains a +4 racial bonus on all skill checks made with it.
- Resilient: Astereman receive a +2 natural armor bonus.
- Stability: Astereman receive a +2 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
- Languages: Astereman begin play speaking Common and either Dwarven or Elven. Astereman with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following; Celestial, Gaian, Sylvan.