The material below is designated as Open Game Content
Shorter and stockier than the more common lightfeet, deep halflings dwell below the earth. While more cautious than their cousins due to the many dangers inherent in the deep and dark places, deep halflings are similar in outlook to most other halflings, though their travels are generally limited to the lands of other subterranean peoples such as dwarves and svirfneblin.
Deep Halfling Traits
Deep halfling characters have the following racial traits.
• +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
• Small size: As a Small creature, a deep halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armour Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
• Deep halfling base land speed is 20 feet.
• Darkvision (Ex): Deep halflings can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but is otherwise like normal sight, and deep halflings can function just fine with no light at all.
• Stonecunning (Ex): This ability grants a deep Halfling a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A deep halfling who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a deep Halfling can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A deep halfling can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
• +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Craft checks related to stone or metal.
• +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
• +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear: This bonus stacks with the deep halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
• +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
• +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Halfling. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.
• Favoured Class: Rogue. A multiclass deep halfling’s rogue class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
DEEP HALFLING ADVANCEMENT
A deep halfling who takes levels in his racial class uses the following game rule information.
Hit Die: d6.
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier (x4 if 1st level is the character's 1st character level).
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Table XX: Deep Halfling Racial Levels
|1st||+0||+0||+2||+0||Improved stonecunning, save bonus|
|2nd||+1||+0||+3||+0||Athletic prowess, improved darkvision|
Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Deep halflings with racial class levels are proficient with all simple weapons and with light armour.
Improved Stonecunning (Ex): At 1st level, a deep halfling's racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework increases to +4. The range at which he receives an automatic Search check for coming near an example of unusual stonework increases to 20 feet. Also, he can intuit where true north lies in relation to himself (as if he had 5 ranks in Survival) whenever underground.
Save Bonus: A 1st-level deep halfling's racial bonus on all saving throws increases by 1.
Athletic Prowess: At 2nd level, a deep halfling's racial bonus on Climb, Jump, and Move Silently checks improves to +3.
Improved Darkvision: At 2nd level, a deep halfling's darkvision range increases by 30 feet.
Dexterity Boost: At 3rd level, a deep halfling's Dexterity score increases by 2 points.
Fear Immunity (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a deep Halfling is immune to all forms of fear.
Charisma Boost: At 5th level, a deep halfling's Charisma score increases by 2 points.