The material below is designated as Open Game Content
Lurking before the surface of the earth are the terrifying grimlocks. Ravenous and wild, these creatures come to the surface in search of fresh meat. They are not terribly particular as to what type of meat, but sentient humanoids taste best.
Grimlocks are blind, but their exceptional senses of smell and hearing allow them to notice foes nearby. As a result, they usually shun ranged weapons and rush to the attack, brandishing their stone battleaxes. They are often used as foot soldiers by the more powerful denizens of the underground.
Grimlock characters have the following racial traits.
• +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Wisdom, -4 Charisma.
• Medium size: As Medium creatures, grimlocks have no special modifiers due to their size.
• Grimlock base land speed is 30 feet.
• +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in mountain or underground settings.
• Weapon Proficiency: A grimlock is automatically proficient with the battleaxe.
• +1 natural armour bonus.
• Blindsight (Ex): Grimlocks can sense all foes within 30 feet as a sighted creature would. Beyond that range, they treat all targets as having total concealment. Grimlocks are susceptible to sound and scent-based attacks, however, and are affected normally by loud noises and sonic spells (such as ghost sound or silence) and overpowering odours (such as stinking cloud or incense-heavy air). Negating a grimlock’s sense of smell or hearing reduces this ability to normal Blind-Fight (as the feat). If both these senses are negated, a grimlock is effectively blinded. Grimlocks are immune to gaze attacks, visual effects, illusions, and other attack forms that rely on sight.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Grimlock. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Gnome, Terran, Undercommon.
• Favoured Class: Barbarian. A multiclass grimlock’s barbarian class does not count when determining
whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
A grimlock who takes levels in his racial class uses the following game rule information.
Hit Die: d6.
Skill Points: 2 + Int modifier (x4 if 1st level is the character's 1st character level).
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis).
Table XVIII: Grimlock Racial Levels
|1st||+0||+0||+2||+2||Dexterity boost, Hide +6, scent|
|2nd||+1||+0||+3||+3||Hide +8, natural armour +2|
|3rd||+2||+1||+3||+3||Hide +10, Strength boost|
|4th||+3||+1||+4||+4||Blindsight 40’, Hide +12|
|5th||+3||+1||+4||+4||Constitution boost, natural armour +3|
Armour and Weapon Proficiency: Grimlocks with racial class levels are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armour, but not with shields.
Dexterity Boost: At 1st level, a grimlock's Dexterity score increases by 2 points.
Hide Bonus: At 1st level, a grimlock racial bonus on Hide checks in mountain or underground settings increases to +6. This bonus increases further to +8 at 2nd level, +10 at 3rd level and +12 at 4th level.
Scent (Ex): At 1st level, a grimlock gains the scent ability.
Natural Armour: At 2nd level, a grimlock's natural armour bonus increases to +2. At 5th level, a grimlock's natural armour bonus increases to +3.
Strength Boost: At 3rd level, a grimlock's Strength score increases by 2 points.
Blindsight: At 4th level, the range of a grimlock's blindsight increases to 40 feet.
Constitution Bonus: At 5th level, a grimlock's Constitution score increases by 2 points.
Balancing the Grimlock
If we compare a 4th-level grimlock using these rules to a standard grimlock, which is ECL 4 (2 Hit Dice + 2 Level Adjustment), we find the 4th-level grimlock has 5 (+ 2x Con modifier) more hit points, +1 better saves, 4 (+2x Int modifier) more skill points, 1 extra feat, but -2 less natural armour.