The material below is designated as Open Game Content
The reclusive tritons live deep under the sea in cities built of coral and stone. Like most undersea creatures, tritons do not welcome surface-dwellers openly, making sure they pose no threat before admitting them. Tritons prefer to avoid combat, but defend their homes fiercely. Their battles most often involve the evil sahuagin, who often invade triton strongholds.
A triton has silvery skin that fades into silver-blue scales on the lower half of its body. A triton’s hair is deep blue or blue-green. A triton is about the same size and weight as a human. They move with graceful, fluid motions, completely at home in the water.
Triton characters have the following racial traits.
• +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, tritons have no special modifiers due to their size.
• Triton swim speed is 40 feet. They can use the run action while swimming, provided they swim in a straight line.
• Triton base land speed is 5 feet.
• Darkvision (Ex): Tritons can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but is otherwise like normal sight, and tritons can function just fine with no light at all.
• +2 racial bonus on all Diplomacy checks and on Survival checks used to find or follow tracks.
• +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. A triton can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Aquan. Bonus Languages: Any.
• Favoured Class: Druid. A multiclass triton’s druid class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
A triton who takes levels in his racial class uses the following game rule information.
Hit Die: d6.
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier (x4 if 1st level is the character's 1st character level).
Class Skills: Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Table XXXIV: Triton Racial Levels
|Level||Attack||Fort||Ref||Will||Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||+0||+2||+2||+2||Natural armour +1, Wisdom boost||-|
|2nd||+1||+3||+3||+3||Natural armour +2, summon nature’s ally I||+1 level of druid|
|3rd||+2||+3||+3||+3||Constitution boost, summon nature’s ally II||+1 level of druid|
|4th||+3||+4||+4||+4||Natural armour +3, summon nature’s ally III||-|
|5th||+3||+4||+4||+4||Natural armour +4, Strength boost, summon nature’s ally IV||+1 level of druid|
Weapon and Armour Proficiency : Tritons with racial class levels are proficient with all martial weapons, but not with armour or with shields.
Natural Armour: A triton gains a +1 natural armour bonus at 1st level, which increases to +2 at 2nd level, +3 at 4th level, and +4 at 5th level.
Wisdom Boost: At 1st level, a triton's Wisdom score increases by 2 points.
Summon Nature's Ally (Sp): At 2nd level, a triton can use summon nature's ally I once per day, as the spell. At 3rd level, he can instead use summon nature's ally II. At 4th level, he can instead use summon nature's ally III. At 5th level, he can instead use summon nature's ally IV. His caster level is equal to his class level +2.
Spells per Day: At 2nd, 3rd and 5th level, a triton gains new spells per day and spells known as if he had also gained a level in druid. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (druid class features, and so on). This essentially means that he adds the level of triton to his level in druid, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.
If a triton has no levels in druid, this class feature has no effect.
Constitution Boost: At 3rd level, a triton's Constitution score increases by 2 points.
Strength Boost: At 5th level, a triton's Strength score increases by 2 points.
Balancing the Triton
If we compare a 5th-level triton using these rules to a standard triton, which is ECL 5 (3 Hit Dice + 2 Level Adjustment), we find the 5th-level triton has 7 (+2 x Con modifier) more hit points, +1 better base attack bonus, +1 better Fort, Reflex and Will saves, and 2 x Int modifier more skill points, but -2 less natural armour.