The material below is Open Game Content
Sovirael — “Unbound Spirit” — is the name the Juvias Dre gave to those revenants that evolved to full consciousness and transcended their original mortal origins. These incorporeal beings possess considerable magical strength, in addition to the skills that the original source character possessed in life.
These spirits are invisible and incorporeal by nature. If one chooses to, it can manifest any sort of image that it chooses in the vicinity of its “body;” this is identical to the major image spell, and the spirit can alter the image as a free action.
“Sovirael” is a template that can be added to any entity that has gone through the process of spiritual evolution associated with the gleaners. The creature’s type changes to “Undead.” It possesses all of the statistics and special abilities that the base creature possessed at the time that the revenant was first removed and placed in a spiritstone.
Hit Dice: Set to d12.
Speed: Sovirael have a fly speed of 60 feet with perfect maneuverability.
AC: Same as the base creature, with a deflection bonus equal to the creature’s Charisma modifier or +1, whichever is higher.
Attacks: Sovirael are incorporeal creatures and cannot directly affect the physical world except through use of magic. They generally prefer to avoid combat.
Special Attacks: A sovirael retains all of the special attacks of the base character, but cannot use any ability that requires physical contact.
Special Qualities: A sovirael possesses all of the special qualities of the base creature, plus those listed below:
- Incorporeal (Ex): An unbound spirit can only be harmed by other incorporeal creatures, by +1 or better weapons, or by spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural attack forms. They are immune to all non-magical attack forms. Even when struck by magic or magical weapons, the spirit has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source. It may move in any direction at will and can pass through solid objects at will.
- Fast Healing (Ex): Sovirael are extremely difficult to disperse. A spirit recovers 6 hit points each round.
- Spell-like Abilities: In addition to any spells the spirit may possess due to the knowledge of its base character, it may also use any of the spells it has learned while in the care of its gleaner when released from the reliquary. It may use these spells at will as spell-like abilities. In addition, if the spirit knows the greater avatar spell and has a willing host, it may extend the duration of the spell indefinitely. However, after ten rounds have passed, both the spirit and the host must make opposed Will saving throws; if the spirit beats the host, the spirit may take over the body of the host. The host may make another opposed Will saving throw every hour to attempt to regain control of his body.
- Spell Resistance (Ex): An unbound spirit is largely comprised of mystical energy, and can often absorb spell effects without any negative effect. As a result, a sovirael has a Spell Resistance equal to 5 + the base creature’s hit dice or character levels.
- Turn Resistance (Ex): Sovirael are almost impossible to Turn; they are not typical undead creatures and are not as vulnerable to positive or negative energy manipulation as other undead are. A sovirael receives +10 Turn Resistance.
- Undead Resistances (Ex): As undead creatures, sovirael are immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, mindinfluencing effects, death effects, and necromantic effects. They are not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain, or any effects that require a Fortitude save.
Saves: Same as the base creature.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +0, Dex +0, Int +4, Wis +10, Cha +4. As undead creatures, sovirael have no Constitution score.
Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2