The following entry is Open Game Content
“Space-hardened” is a racial template that can be applied to any race. Space-hardened races have been adapted to survive unprotected in space for short periods of time.
Personality: As the base species.
Physical Description: Space-hardened races have thicker skin than their base species, along with protective membranes that can be closed over their eyes.
Relations: As the base species.
Alignment: As the base species.
Space-Hardened Lands: Space-hardened races prefer to dwell in space where their abilities are most useful.
Religion: As the base species.
Language: As the base species.
Names: As the base species.
Adventurers: As the base species.
Space-Hardened Racial Traits
• Reinforced Lungs: A space-hardened race can hold their breath in vacuum as though they were underwater. Extensive pressure baffles and synthetic reinforcements in the space-hardened race’s respiratory system prevent the air from being sucked out of their lungs.
• Enhanced Lung Capacity: Space-hardened races can hold their breath for a number of rounds equal to five times their Constitution score.
• Internal Gyroscope: You receive a +4 competence bonus to all Freefall checks. In addition, if you are spinning out of control, you may make a free attempt to right yourself once per round. You can do this even if there is nothing for you to grab onto or propel yourself with, but you suffer a –4 penalty to the check in those circumstances.
• Gas Susceptibility: –4 racial penalty to saves against gasbased attacks or effects. Space-hardened races have extremely efficient lungs, which ironically makes them more susceptible to gas attacks than their base species.
• Slow Healing: The natural healing rate of a spacehardened race is halved. Due to the complex and delicate machinery laced throughout their respiratory system, space-hardened races need more time to recover from injuries as the machinery repairs itself.
• Automatic Languages: As base species.
• Level Equivalent: Same as base species.
This material originated in the Dragonstar: Galactic Races by Fantasy Flight Inc. (License)